Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Excuses, excuses

When I started making quilts probably over ten years ago, it was always for a specific purpose: utilitarian, a gift, somebody had a baby, etc. I made a few, gave a lovely one away as a Christmas present - and then thought, Well, I don't need any more quilts, now what?

That thought kept me from quilting for probably three years or more. In fact, the last one I was working on was for a baby who is now four. Long story short, the intended recipient never got it because a) it ended up being a very feminine looking quilt and I wasn't sure what the couple was having, and b) the recipient's grandmother decided that her sister! was going to be making the Official Baby Quilt, I guess. So, I kept it.

Aside from a custom bedspread I made for my son, that's about all I've done in the quilting department since then. I just couldn't think of an excuse why I needed more quilts. Until I thought to myself, Who cares? Do I really need an excuse?! Just do it!

Smart advice, it turns out. This very talented blogger wanted a reason to quilt every day and is turning out some amazing work. She decided to feature several new designs - all done with free-motion quilting - per week, adding up to 365 designs in all. According to her blog, she wanted an excuse to quilt every single day for a year. Awesome. That's all the excuse I need!

Amazing free-motion quilting design from Day 332,
called "Pea Gravel Path." Photo: freemotionquilting.blogspot.com
As far as where to put all those quilts I want to make, I'm not going to worry just yet. But in the meantime, here are some other ideas.

Photo: 3sisters-pjr.blogspot.com

I've seen my aunt - who also has a love for sewing - do this with vintage quilts at her house.

Photo: Country Living Magazine

Quilt Storage Inspiration

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to learn to quilt on a larger scale, though I have very little equipment, not even a proper sewing machine. There's a knitting group that my sister is a part of that makes blankets for people who have lost a child (mostly moms who've miscarried or had stillbirths but also other losses sometimes, too). That might be one outlet for your creations... or I'll raise my hand and say that I don't care what color it is I love handmade quilts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for stopping by! :) I did think of that - that if I get too insane and can't stop I will look into donating them to an organization like you mentioned.

    Perhaps if you want to do quilting but on a smaller scale, doll quilts might be fun? I want to do one of those, too. LOL I need help...

    ReplyDelete