Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Measuring Properly vs. Just Guessing (Improperly)

I found the cutest pink and white polka dot print to make a dress for my daughter. One of the reasons I love sewing for girls is all the frilly, pretty patterns and fabrics to choose from - but I think I need to do more measuring than guessing when I get to the cutting counter.

I chose this pattern (View D) and thought it would look so cute on her. Picture a blonde little girl with mary janes and tights, the works. Now picture this dress with no back, because that's exactly what it would look like since I didn't get enough fabric. Of course. And now, after visiting the store to find more, discover that they are indeed fresh out of it. Does this mean hitting every JoAnn's in the county to find less than a yard of fabric to complete this dress? Probably. I could just make the top version, but it just wouldn't be the same...

I guess that's where the old adage "Measure once, cut twice" comes from. Who knew? 

No comments:

Post a Comment