Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Robot Costume

For Halloween, my son wanted to be (or rather I gently persuaded him) to be a robot. I have been wanting to make this costume for so long, and while it wasn't cheap, it was a lot of fun!

After heading to Home Depot for the supplies, we came home with an assortment of switches, doorbell buttons, dimmers and other items. He glued on the reflectors and I also used a tap light for fun that doubled as a safety light on Trick or Treat night, which worked out great. Of course, in all that silver it was highly reflective and hard to miss him anyways...


Some of the switches in front:
I used Huggies wipes and diaper boxes for the head and body. 

To make the gauges I hot glued a pie pan on. In the back is a register vent painted silver and part of a foam pipe insulation, also painted silver, that looks like an air hose. The silver body is actually metallic-looking Contact paper.


We considered using dryer venting for the arms and legs but I was concerned it would be scratchy. It also cost more than I wanted to spend. But I think I made up for it in buying this pleather-like material from Jo Ann's for the suit. At least it was half off. I used the same jumpsuit pattern from last year's Super Hero costume.

And the cake - I used that same purse-shaped pan again, only I frosted over the handle parts and made it look like a ghost. I even managed to not stick my hand in it this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment